Monday, February 24, 2014

blue eggs and green tomatoes...

I fought Caleb over having chickens. And I wasn't too excited about a garden, either.  But I  now feel so pleased when he brings home  the goods. I'm especially proud of the blue eggs,  for some reason.   Maybe because you don't see them in the store.

We keep our chickens and garden at Caleb's parents' house, which is only a few blocks away.  The other day, their neighbor gave Caleb an antique egg scale he'd found somewhere.  Again, the amount of pride I feel in relation to the scale is silly, but I love it!  It goes perfectly with the old, wire egg basket Caleb's mom found for us.

With the unusually cold weather, we had to pull out produce early.  We were left with several pounds of green tomatoes. A little internet searching told us our options were chutney or fried green tomatoes.  We went for the latter.  And it was delicious!  I'd never tried fried green tomatoes before, but they exceeded my expectations!  If you haven't tried them, they really are fantastic.






1 comment:

  1. I love fried green tomatoes! I haven't had them in years. Forgot all about them until now. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete