Friday, November 18, 2011

birthday baby...



How can one year feel like forever and at the same time be so fleeting?  It is hard to believe that this little baby is no longer measured by mere months!  On November 9th, Jane had her first birthday.  We celebrated on the 17th so Grandma Suz and Grandpa Jer could be there.

Jane loves doggies.  So I decided to do a doggy theme for her cake. Although I'm no baker, I decided to make Jane's cake myself.  Whether or not anyone else was impressed, my simple doggy cake had the desired effect--when it was set before Jane, she started barking.  As far as I'm concerned, that made it a complete success!



Jane didn't dig in as much as we'd hoped.  At home, she loves to grab sticky things and SQUISH.  Maybe she was too focused on barking.  Daddy helped her a bit, and she ended up mostly attacking the muzzle, which was really just a large marshmallow covered in dairy-free icing.







I also tried my hand at some pupcakes (for effect, not taste).  Although I adjusted the original recipe due to laziness (REALLY?  You want me to roll out caramels, and then cut them in the shape of a wagging ear and mount them on a thin chocolate cookie before attaching?  No thank you!), they turned out really cute!








Jane was showered in love and gifts!  She didn't really get the bag thing but did better with a nice torn spot on a piece of wrapping paper.  She also lost her shoe at some point with all the excitement.  It was found under the discarded wrapping paper.





Everyone kept telling me, "You know, Jane won't remember this."  Yes, I already knew that.  A child's first birthday is just another excuse to get together with your favorite people, have some good food, and catch up on life.  Thanks to all those who came!











4 comments:

  1. She looks absolutely adorable!!! I so wish I could have been there last night but we double booked ourselves... Also, I love the doggy theme! A couple of those cupcakes bore a remarkable resemblance to Weston. They turned out really cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She may not remember the party, but she'll see the pictures one day! CUTE CUTE party. I love the dog cake/cupcakes! You did an AWESOME job. I love that she started barking too.. What a funny little girl! Happy Birthday to Jane! I can't believe she's already one.

    Oh, and can I just say that I am totally jealous that you guys are outside at night in short sleeves in November?! What?! Arizona here I come.

    By the way, your hair is so pretty! And getting so long again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have been there! She looked adorable and I can't believe she's ONE!!! PS LOVE those doggy treats....or pupcakes or whatever you call them ;) LOVE YOU GUYS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you had a party for little Jane! We had a lot of fun. Your pupcakes turned out so cute and the sloppy joes were delish!

    ReplyDelete