Wednesday, March 14, 2012

so you had a bad day...

...or week...or whatever.

For some reason I was super emotional last week.  I cried almost every day.  I didn't feel like cleaning (well, fine, I never feel like cleaning, but it was worse than usual), I made pathetic meals, I didn't go on walks or take Jane to the park.  I don't know what was going on!  Luckily it has passed, but I thought I'd share one story from my week.

Before I tell the story, I just want to include one little fact:  I don't bake cookies.  If you have ever had cookies I "made", they were from store-bought dough.  Over the years the few times I have attempted cookies from scratch have been unsuccessful, so I gave up.  I'm not sure when I last attempted cookies, but I think it was on my mission.

Anyway, back to last week...
I was bored, emotional, and unmotivated.  The only thing I was looking forward to was our Relief Society dinner on Wednesday.  Caleb had agreed to watch Jane so I could enjoy the night without worrying over her.  This may sound a little pathetic, but I crave social interaction, and I was really looking forward to a night out with the ladies.  I even signed up to bring a salad.

Interestingly enough, we had not one, but two dinner invitations that night.  It totally bummed me out that we had to say no, but as I already said, I was excited to go to the Relief Society dinner and I had committed to that salad.

By 6:30 pm, my salad was in the fridge, Caleb and Jane were finishing up their dinner (with exactly enough for just the two of them--no leftovers, no hassle!), I had changed my clothes, and had my makeup on.  As I waited a few more minutes--I didn't want to get there too early--I decided to check the flyer again and make sure I had the time right.  Yep, 7:00 pm.  Unfortunately, it was the date I had wrong.  The dinner wasn't until the next day.  I (of course) started crying and then, realizing how hungry I was, started to scavenge something for my own lonely dinner.  The best I could find was a $1 microwave meal that had been sitting in our freezer for months.

Let me just insert a small reminder here that we had declined two dinner invitations.  OUCH.

I was feeling so forlorn (and hungry!) that I worked up the courage to attempt baking some cookies using minty chips my mom had bought me in December.

I was nervous about how they would turn out, especially since it wasn't your typical chocolate chip cookie.  But oh! what a beautiful, blissful moment when I took my first bite!  The bitterness of my day was washed away in gooey, minty, chocolate deliciousness.  The closest thing I can relate it to is how I felt when I finally decided to have an epidural after 18 hours of labor:  very happy.

I highly recommend them to any of you who like mint and chocolate, and unlike the epidural, your legs won't go numb.

Caleb's and Jane's dinner:


my salad before it sat in the fridge for a day:


my dinner:



mint chip salve for the soul:


(You can get the recipe here, if you're interested.  And you should be interested.)

3 comments:

  1. Haha! This was funny, but I'm sorry about your breakdown. I've felt like that before and it stinks! Also, I did something very similar once, except I showed up to a midwife appointment a day early, with my mom, and the midwife was totally booked. It was so embarrassing and I just cried and cried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post. You are such a good writer. Sorry to hear about your bad week, but i love the story. It made me laugh. I hate when i miss small details, like the date! Always say yes to dinner reservations, just in case the other events fall through. You can alway cancel last minute, right? That's not too rude, is it? You have a kid now so you can always blame the cancelation on her. :-) i'll test out your cookie recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca! I just rediscovered your blog through a link on Summer's and have enjoyed reading. I had no idea you were a cry baby and admire you even more for retelling your woes. The cookies look dang good.

    ReplyDelete